Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket Photobucket

Pages

New Fan Page!!!

The blog finally has a Facebook Fan Page! Show it some love by clicking "Like" on the sidebar under my followers. Thanks!

Check out DanshaDesigns!

sponsors

Amazing Times Are Coming Miscellaneous Ramblings
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

About Me

My photo
I'm a 20-something happily-married USF grad from the Sunshine State. I love Jesus, real estate, traveling, beauty/ makeup products, home decorating and DIY projects. Follow along for fun product reviews, giveaways and more!

Blog Archive

Search

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

DIY Colorful Monogram Containers

I don't think I can make it more than 3 days without feeling the need to paint, cut, or craft something {unless of course I'm on vacation. Then it's more like, "Crafting? Are you kidding me?"}

I also can't help but redo/fix/update things around the house to make it feel a little more like home and a lot more like me.

Today I just did a quick update to some containers that I use in my office. They desperately needed to lose the "stuffy" cardboard look and get some color!
the D & A are for Daniel and Asha

Since I am The Worst at remembering to take "before" pictures, here is a similar container to the ones I have done:
can you say boring?!
All you need are:
  • Acrylic paints in 3 colors of your choice
  • a sponge brush (I got a pack of 10 for $1!)
  •  old newspaper
  • cardstock 
  • glue stick
  • stencils, Cricut or Silhouette
glue stick and cardstock are not shown
  1. layout your newspaper as a dropcloth for a the paint (I used an entire section so it would be thick enough)
  2.  use your stencil or Cricut to cut out the letters you want on the cardstock (mine were 2" wide)
  3. put a quarter-sized dot of paint on the newspaper for each of your colors - this is your palette.
  4. put a liberal amount of glue on the back of each of your letters and adhere them to the lids of your containers.
  5. take the sponge brush and dab it into the first and second colors that you would like to blend on your containers and begin painting with long strokes.
  6. When painting the lids, first dab the paint on around the letters to ensure that they are securely pressed down and then go over the entire lid with paint.
  7. To get a nice color variation as I did, DO NOT wash your brush as you paint, just wipe it on the newspaper before adding another color. That way a hint of the previous color will get mixed in.
  8. Let dry for about 5 minutes before carefully removing the letters that you applied with the glue stick.
  9. continue to allow containers to dry (usually takes about 15 min)
  10. Voila! You have your very own personalized containers! 

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think or if you are going to try it out yourself! :)

I'm linking up with:
http://www.notjustahousewife.net/
http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com/
http://amy-newnostalgia.blogspot.com/


love always,

4 comments:

Jessica said...

So jealous you have a Cricut!!!!

Lauren said...

I really love these and the colors you chose :-) Are you offering different size ads now? Is it an app. to download or?? Good idea :-)

Jo said...

Very cute!

Nikki said...

Very crafty! I definitely have some plain boxes that could use a pop of color. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the follow! Following back!