Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket Photobucket

Pages

New Fan Page!!!

The blog finally has a Facebook Fan Page! Show it some love by clicking "Like" on the sidebar under my followers. Thanks!

Check out DanshaDesigns!

sponsors

Amazing Times Are Coming Miscellaneous Ramblings
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

About Me

My photo
I'm a 20-something happily-married USF grad from the Sunshine State. I love Jesus, real estate, traveling, beauty/ makeup products, home decorating and DIY projects. Follow along for fun product reviews, giveaways and more!

Blog Archive

Search

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Willpower Instinct

I am a procrastinator.
There, I said it.
Self-control and I have never been friends (i.e. the main reason why I could stand to lose 20 pounds) but I'm ready to give it a chance. Especially after being completely inspired by Kelly McGonial's book, The Willpower Instinct.

I received this book just in time to finish reading it as the New Year began and absolutely loved it! But not gonna lie, I was a little skeptical when I saw a section titled, "Gain Willpower in Your Sleep".
In all truth, she did have a point with that though. She wrote, "being mildly but chronically sleep deprived [6 hours or less of sleep every night; description of me] makes you more susceptible to stress, cravings, and temptation. It also makes it more difficult to control your emotions, focus your attention, or find the energy to tackle the big "I will" power challenges." (p.45)

She has many other equally-as-amazing sections in her book that you just can't help but enjoy, with titles such as, "If you eat this cookie, the terrorists win" and "God wants you to lose weight". Ha! But surprisingly both those statements have provided remarkable results!

While reading I can't tell you how many times I thought "duh!", "I knew this...but never really thought about it", and "It's not impossible after all".

I completely recommend this book not only for the content, but for the presentation of it all. It's witty and very effective. I'm ready to tape the words "Willpower" to my treadmill right now (inside joke between the book and I) and get  to know self-control a whole lot better!



I am being compensated for this post. However, the opinions are entirely my own.

No comments: